Commercial landlord and tenant issues often arise in a fast paced environment. We provide responsive and knowledgeable services and solutions.
We represent commercial landlords and tenants using our extensive experience, knowledge and creative problem solving skills. Where issues arise between a commercial landlord and tenant, our team can step in to represent the interests of either side with a view to achieving the best result for our client in the circumstances.
We provide assistance and representation in:
- The levying of distress by a landlord against its tenant’s goods on the premises for arrears of rent;
- Terminating a tenant’s lease for arrears of rent and thereafter commencing legal proceedings to recover the arrears of rent and future rent;
- Pursuing tenants for the fraudulent removal of their goods from the leased premises with a view to defeating the landlord’s right to levy distraint against them to collect arrears of rent;
- Obtaining injunctive relief for a tenant seeking relief from forfeiture of a lease;
- Resolving disputes in respect of what constitutes additional rent recoverable under a lease;
- Dealing with a trustee in bankruptcy upon the bankruptcy of a tenant, or the filing of a proposal under the Bankruptcy Insolvency Act;
- Disputes arising in respect of a tenant’s right to assign or sub-let a lease; and
- Disputes arising in respect of the interpretation of any of the terms or conditions of the lease, including use and operating clauses.
Whatever your specific needs are, we’re here to provide you with expert advice and quality service.
Our commercial landlord and tenant lawyers have the extensive knowledge base and experience required to give you reliable common sense advice and to vigorously represent you when necessary. Our lawyers have appeared on commercial landlord and tenant issues before the Bankruptcy Court, the Commercial Court in Toronto, the Superior Court of Justice, and the Ontario Court of Appeal.