Matt practises in the area of civil litigation with an emphasis on personal injury litigation. During his articles, he worked in all practice areas of the firm and appeared on matters before the Superior Court of Justice as well as administrative boards and tribunals. Matt also assisted with a motor vehicle accident trial before the Superior Court of Justice that involved municipal liability.
Matt is very active in the London community and serves as the School Trustee for the Thames Valley District School Board representing Wards 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 in London. In this role, he advocates for his constituents and works to improve the education system for the School Board’s 70,000 elementary and secondary school students and 7,800 teachers and staff. He also serves on several Board committees including the Negotiations Committee, Budget Advisory Committee, First Nations Advisory Committee and the Equity and Inclusive Education Committee.
Matt was awarded the prestigious Loran National Scholarship to attend Western University. While at University, Matt was elected to the University’s Board of Governors and Senate and has volunteered in Tanzania doing HIV relief work. Matt also served on the committee that chose the 10th President and Vice-Chancellor of Western University, Dr. Amit Chakma. Matt currently holds leadership positions on the board of directors for the Regional HIV/Aids Connection and the Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership charities. Matt loves to travel and has a 2nd degree Black Belt in Karate.
Matthew was born and raised in London, Ontario. Prior to commencing his legal career, Matt interned at the Ministry of the Attorney General in Toronto and did constituency work for a London Provincial Cabinet Minister.
Areas of Expertise
Education & ExperienceMatthew graduated with distinction at Western University, where he was a Weston Loran Scholar, with an Honours Bachelor of Arts in Political Science in 2009 and graduated with his Juris Doctor from the University of Ottawa in 2012.
Memberships & Affiliations
- President and Chair of the Board for HOBY Canada (Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership)
- Treasurer of the Regional HIV/Aids Connection (RHAC)
- Member of the City of London’s Community Safety and Crime Prevention Advisory Committee
- Member of the London and Middlesex Road Safety Strategic Committee
- Past Member, Western University’s President’s Selection Committee
- Former Governor, Western University’s Board of Governors
- Former Student Trustee, Thames Valley District School Board
- School Trustee for the Thames Valley District School Board
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Middlesex Law Association
- Executive Member of the Sexual Orientation Gender Identity Committee of the Ontario Bar Association