Our lawyers also have a wealth of experience in court and appellate proceedings involving the interpretation of Administrative Law statutes or legal principles. In formulating and recommending legal strategies to our clients, we are open about the risks of proposed litigation and are always prepared to discuss, in advance, the realistic costs of litigation so that budgets can be established – and adhered to. Cohen Highley’s Administrative Law lawyers have accumulated a wealth of experience in most Administrative Law disciplines. In particular, Cohen Highley lawyers have experience in the following Administrative Law disciplines:
- Constitutional Law, Human Rights Law
- Environmental Law, Energy Law, Agricultural Law
- Expropriation Law, Municipal Law, Land Use Planning & Development Law
- Residential Tenancies Law, Property Tax Law, Condominium Law
- Divisional Court, Ontario Court of Appeal, and Supreme Court of Canada Advocacy, Appellate Tribunal appeals
The field of administrative law encompasses a broad range of legal practice; however, there are common principles shared across the spectrum of administrative law disciplines. As most administrative law issues are rooted in governmental agencies or the exercise of governmental powers, the legal issues are often sophisticated, complex, and the solutions can be elusive. Cohen Highley’s legal advisors have the experience and expertise to apply administrative law principles to our clients’ legal problems and to provide realistic solutions to complex problems.
We can help you:
- Understand the governmental decision-making process and the legal issues that may confront you as you exercise rights or seek remedies under Administrative Law statutes;
- Use provincial and federal Statutes effectively to secure rights, privileges and remedies which are available to corporations or citizens;
- Develop and implement strategies within the rules prescribed by governmental agencies to successfully achieve personal or corporate goals;
- Understand when your expectations of a particular government agency are unrealistic or inappropriate;
- Navigate through government red tape and expedite the governmental decision making process and, if necessary, force the government to exercise its powers in accordance with law;
- Respond to governmental action effectively, quickly and responsibly;
- Formulate strategies to secure fundamental rights under the Charter or under a variety of provincial and federal Statutes;
- Develop litigation and negotiation strategies in the context of a wide range of federal and provincial Statutes;
- Understand and work with a myriad of governmental regulations in a way that will enhance, rather than encumber, your business interests.
Our experience in most aspects of Administrative Law advocacy enables us to assess and plan cases expeditiously and effectively. Each provincial and federal tribunal possesses unique and complex areas of jurisdiction. At Cohen Highley you retain lawyers with expertise in a broad range of tribunal and regulatory statutes. Extensive knowledge of the court system, a variety of Administrative Law statutes and familiarity with the Rules, practice and procedure of a myriad of boards and tribunals allows us to provide our clients with a range of options and solutions to Administrative Law problems.
Our legal research, case preparation and oral advocacy skills allow us to ensure your case is properly and fully argued before tribunals, Courts and appellate bodies. We prepare our clients and witnesses carefully. We work hard to cultivate the respect of the court, opposing counsel and the tribunals we appear before.
Cohen Highley legal counsel have argued and established a broad range of important legal precedents now relied on by Courts, boards and tribunals within the field of Administrative Law.
Our Administrative Law Counsel have gained experience in Administrative Law matters by developing expertise with clients; through active involvement with industry organizations; through publication of important articles, books and presentations; through presentations at community, industry and professional Education programs; and through forceful and successful advocacy for clients. We attend Continuing Legal Education programs; municipal and industry functions; and we continue to participate in specialized programs relating to Administrative Law and regulatory matters.
Our clients include prominent corporations; disadvantaged individuals; governmental agencies; private citizens and municipalities.
We interact with other lawyers at Cohen Highley who provide solicitors’ services in connection with the drafting of contracts and development agreements, corporate legal services, general litigation services; and Employment Law services. Together, our lawyers offer our Administrative Law clients a full range of quality, professional legal services.
Subscribe to Our Legal Bulletins
Subscribe to Cohen Highley’s email service to receive information about residential tenancies and condominium law. Don’t worry: it’s easy to unsubscribe if you ever wish to stop receiving our bulletins (just click on “unsubscribe” at the bottom of any email bulletin you receive from us).
To receive our email bulletins, please press the subscribe button:
You can also follow us on Twitter at @cohenhighleyllp
Paralegal PartnerView Profile
Laura M. Gurr
John A. Nicholson
Kate (Letchford) Schoffer