Joe Hoffer is a lawyer and partner with Cohen Highley LLP, a law firm with offices in London, Kitchener, Chatham and Sarnia. Joe has a litigation-based practice (for 30 years) in the areas of Real Estate, Condominium Law, Land Use Planning, and Residential Tenancies Law (Landlords only). He appears regularly before Provincial Boards and Tribunals, the Superior Court of Ontario, the Ontario Divisional Court and the Ontario Court of Appeal.
Joe is a regular presenter and contributor to continuing legal education programs of the Law Society of Upper Canada; the Paralegal Society; at joint programs of Osgoode Hall/University of Toronto; and, at numerous education and training programs for FRPO, GTAA, LPMA, WRAMA and HDAA.
In the community, Joe is a former Chair of the London Police Services Board and of Community Living London. Joe is also an advocate for the hiring of people with disabilities and is a recipient of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal and was presented with the 2010 Champion’s League award by the then Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, the Hon. David Onley. For the past several years and at present, Joe is the Sudan Monitor for Lawyers’ Rights Watch Canada.
Areas of Expertise
Memberships & Affiliations
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- London Property Management Association
- Federation of Rental Housing Providers of Ontario
- Greater Toronto Apartment Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Recipient of a Lifetime Achievement award by the London Property Management Association
- Recipient of Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal, 2012
- Recipient of 2010 Champion's League award by the Ontario Disability Employment Networks
- Past Chair of the London Police Services Board
- Board Member of Community Living London
- Amnesty International
- Sudan Monitor for Lawyers’ Rights Watch Canada
- Kinwell Place Non-Profit Housing Corporation
- Can residential landlords restrict cannabis activity in rental units?
- Ontario Provides More Detail on Changes to the RTA: Draft Legislation
- When A Tenant Dies
- Employing Individuals with Disabilites
- Benefit to hiring individuals with disablities
- Rent Control Bulletin - AGI Update
- Ontario Today @CBCOntarioToday
- TENANTS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO HARASS YOUR ON-SITE STAFF
- "Privacy" Issues Will Require Lease Amendments
- New 28 Day Lease Termination under RTA!