- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- London Property Management Association
- Federation of Rental Housing Providers of Ontario
- Greater Toronto Apartment Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Recipient of a Lifetime Achievement award by the London Property Management Association
- Recipient of Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal, 2012
- Recipient of 2010 Champion's League award by the Ontario Disability Employment Networks
- Past Chair of the London Police Services Board
- Board Member of Community Living London
- Amnesty International
- Sudan Monitor for Lawyers’ Rights Watch Canada
- Kinwell Place Non-Profit Housing Corporation
AboutJoe Hoffer is a lawyer and partner with Cohen Highley LLP, a law firm with offices in London, Kitchener, Chatham and Sarnia. Joe has a litigation-based practice (for over 30 years) in the areas of Real Estate, Condominium Law, Land Use Planning, and Residential Tenancies Law (Landlords only). He appears regularly before Provincial Boards and Tribunals, the Superior Court of Ontario, the Ontario Divisional Court and the Ontario Court of Appeal.
Joe is a regular presenter and contributor to continuing legal education programs of the Law Society of Ontario; the Paralegal Society; at joint programs of Osgoode Hall/University of Toronto; and, at numerous education and training programs for FRPO, GTAA, LPMA, WRAMA and HDAA.
In the community, Joe is a former Chair of the London Police Services Board and of Community Living London. Joe is also an advocate for the hiring of people with disabilities and is a recipient of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal and was presented with the 2010 Champion’s League award by the then Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, the Hon. David Onley. For the past several years and at present, Joe is a board member with Kinwell Place, and is the former Sudan Monitor for Lawyers’ Rights Watch Canada.
- LTB Rules that Landlords and Supportive Housing Providers are "Co-Landlords" and the Occupants are RTA "Tenants"
- Another LTB Decision that Affects "Hybrid" Mobile Home/Seasonal Operations
- Ruling a Cautionary Tale for Condo Boards
- Care Home vs. Retirement Home?: You Better Know The Difference!
- "Privacy" Issues Will Require Lease Amendments
- Yes! You Can Restrict Rentals to the "Over 50 Crowd"
- Camping in Ontario Bulletin: A Windfall for "Campers" and Liability for Land Owners
- Can I Fire An Employee Who Has A Disability?
- The “Double Edged Sword” of Property Tax Decreases for Multi-Res Buildings
- Third Party Property Manager Alert! You can't Represent Anyone, Including Yourself, at the LTB
- Study the Laws When Renting to Students
- Proving Good Faith of Condo Boards Directors
- Residential Landlords Can't Escape "Occupier's Liability"
- TENANTS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO HARASS YOUR ON-SITE STAFF
- Multi-Unit Occupancy: How Much Noise is Too Much Noise?
- Cannabis Rules
- New and Old Issues: Transferring Multi-Res Properties -- Watch Out!
- Ruling Confirms RTA Does Not Apply to Seasonal Campgrounds
- 2% Prompt Payment Discounts: Worth enforcing?