- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- London Property Management Association
- Federation of Rental Housing Providers of Ontario
- Greater Toronto Apartment Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Recipient of a Lifetime Achievement award by the London Property Management Association
- Recipient of Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal, 2012
- Recipient of 2010 Champion's League award by the Ontario Disability Employment Networks
- Past Chair of the London Police Services Board
- Board Member of Community Living London
- Amnesty International
- Sudan Monitor for Lawyers’ Rights Watch Canada
- Kinwell Place Non-Profit Housing Corporation
AboutJoe Hoffer is a lawyer and partner with Cohen Highley LLP, a law firm with offices in London, Kitchener, Chatham and Sarnia. Joe has a litigation-based practice (for over 30 years) in the areas of Real Estate, Condominium Law, Land Use Planning, and Residential Tenancies Law (Landlords only). He appears regularly before Provincial Boards and Tribunals, the Superior Court of Ontario, the Ontario Divisional Court and the Ontario Court of Appeal.
Joe is a regular presenter and contributor to continuing legal education programs of the Law Society of Ontario; the Paralegal Society; at joint programs of Osgoode Hall/University of Toronto; and, at numerous education and training programs for FRPO, GTAA, LPMA, WRAMA and HDAA.
In the community, Joe is a former Chair of the London Police Services Board and of Community Living London. Joe is also an advocate for the hiring of people with disabilities and is a recipient of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal and was presented with the 2010 Champion’s League award by the then Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, the Hon. David Onley. For the past several years and at present, Joe is a board member with Kinwell Place, and is the former Sudan Monitor for Lawyers’ Rights Watch Canada.
- Lax Enforcement Of Licenses Puts Campground Owners At Risk
- Landlords Should Plan Today For September 1 RTA Changes
- COVID-19 Vaccination Policies for Housing Providers
- IT'S FRIDAY THE 13th: SO MORE CHANGES FROM THE LANDLORD TENANT BOARD!
- LANDLORD TENANT BOARD RELEASES UPDATE PLAN FOR PROCESSING APPLICATIONS
- FRPO RTA Webinars
- UPDATE FROM LTB ON PROCESSING APPLICATIONS; NEW LTB FORMS
- BILL 184: "SMALL" LANDLORDS ARE THE FOCUS OF RTA CHANGES
- UPDATE ON STATUS OF LTB HEARINGS AND EVICTIONS
- NO EVICTIONS AT THE LTB: ONLY "URGENT MOTIONS" ARE IN PLAY
- LTB AND COVID-19: EVICTIONS, "NO"; RENT ARREARS, "YES"! ...AND LTB SAYS COVID-19 NO EXCUSE FOR BREAKING A LEASE
- WHAT ARE THE RISKS OF COVID "REOPENING" FOR MULTI-RES LANDLORDS?
- COVID-19 UPDATE: "MAY THE 4TH BE WITH YOU!"
- Do you have a policy in place about Visitors and Deliveries during COVID-19 Pandemic?
- Consider Making Vacant Units Available for "Emergency Shelter"?
- How Does the New Order Restricting "Essential Services" Affect Your Operations?
- COVID-19: Tenant Retention in a Recession? Some Options
- Tenants Ignoring COVID-19 Protocols?
- COVID-19 "CERB" Program May Resolve "Rent Repayment" Issues
- "Property Management Services" Deemed "Essential"
- You've Addressed COVID-related Employee and Resident Health Issues. Now what?
- LANDLORDS: YOUR ON-SITE WORKERS' HEALTH AND COVID-19
- Emergency Legislation Suspends Limitation Periods for RTA Filings
- Shut Down of Landlord and Tenant Board and Superior Courts
- Multi-Res Best Practices- Planning For And Responding To COVID-19
- Ontario's Newest Claim for Breach of Privacy
- Can I Fire An Employee Who Has A Disability?
- Hiring People with a Disability: Employers' Perspectives Webcast
- Changes to LTB Rules, Guidelines and Forms
- Joe Hoffer breaks down the legal side of legalized marijuana
- The Cannabis Act: A gift to lawyers that will keep on giving
- Cannabis Rules
- OJEN Presentation
- Rent Control Bulletin: Province Release - Mandatory Lease Form
- Standard Lease Agreement
- Landlord Licencing Fees Result in Whopping Rent Increase
- Residential Tenancies Act Changes
- RTA Amendments Require the Attention of Legal Advisors
- Joe Hoffer is the recipient of the Ability First Champions Award for Advocacy!
- Rent Control Bulletin: Court Schools LTB Over Treatment of Landlord and Dogs
- Can residential landlords restrict cannabis activity in rental units?
- Rent Control Bulletin: Ontario Provides More Detail on Changes to the RTA: Draft Legislation
- When A Tenant Dies
- Employing Individuals with Disabilities
- Benefit to hiring individuals with disabilities
- Rent Control Bulletin - AGI Update
- Ontario Today @CBCOntarioToday
- TENANTS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO HARASS YOUR ON-SITE STAFF
- "Privacy" Issues Will Require Lease Amendments
- New 28 Day Lease Termination under RTA!
- Waterloo Council's Christmas Gift to Townhouse Tenants...? An 8% Rent Increase!
- What's New For 2016? Landlords Be [A]ware
- The Lawyers Weekly
- Rent Control Bulletin: Our New "Anti-Spam" Law: Landlord Compliance Challenges
- LTB Rules that Landlords and Supportive Housing Providers are "Co-Landlords" and the Occupants are RTA "Tenants"
- Multi-Unit Occupancy: How Much Noise is Too Much Noise?
- New Landlord and Tenant Board Forms for Ontario: Important Changes to the Forms on the LTB website
- Another LTB Decision that Affects "Hybrid" Mobile Home/Seasonal Operations
- Ruling Confirms RTA Does Not Apply to Seasonal Campgrounds
- 2% Prompt Payment Discounts: Worth enforcing?
- Happy New Year? What Landlords Need to Know About "AirBnB"
- "Pilot Project" Lifts Off at the Landord and Tenant Board
- Third Party Property Manager Alert! You can't Represent Anyone, Including Yourself, at the LTB
- "A Tale of Two Cities": Landlord Licensing in Waterloo v. Guelph, Update
- Study the Laws When Renting to Students
- Yes! You Can Restrict Rentals to the "Over 50 Crowd"
- Rent Control Bulletin: Why Pre-paid Rent is Not (Always) a No-No!
- The Importance of Basic Estate Planning
- Ruling a Cautionary Tale for Condo Boards
- Rent Control Bulletin "Zero Tolerance": A Flawed Life Safety Policy
- Proving Good Faith of Condo Boards Directors
- Residential Tenancies: Increasing Rent & Building Value while Recouping Capital Investments
- The “Double Edged Sword” of Property Tax Decreases for Multi-Res Buildings
- Care Home vs. Retirement Home?: You Better Know The Difference!
- Residential Landlords Can't Escape "Occupier's Liability"
- Rent Control Bulletin: Rent Guideline Forecast for 2012: 3.1%!
- Rent Control Bulletin Human Rights Crackdown: Landlords Beware! Rental Unit Advertising Targeted
- Law Society Paper
- New and Old Issues: Transferring Multi-Res Properties -- Watch Out!
- Camping in Ontario Bulletin: A Windfall for "Campers" and Liability for Land Owners
- January 2011 Rent Control Bulletin
- December 2009 Rent Control Bulletin
- Rent Control Bulletin: Some New Suite Metering Rules will Apply to ALL Separately Metered Tenancies
- Recent Oil Spill Highlights Importance of Pro-active Preventative Measures by Owners of Mobile Home Parks